Update (9/8/11): check out the repair video: BumGenius 3.0 Velcro Repair
It’s inevitable, my BumGenius cloth diapers with velcro (or aplix), have become so worn that the tabs do not stick well to the tummy strip. I have heard that the curling of the tabs is caused by the dryer, but I don’t think that is the case for mine because I rarely put them in the dryer. Regardless of the cause, I needed to do something to fix my problem. The tabs are so worn that on occasion my sons diapers were falling off of him because the velcro was simply not sticking.
It has finally gotten to the point where I had to do something about it. Lucikly I have a few rolls of aplix that I ordered when I was working on making my own diapers. I know BumGenius will send free replacement tabs, but I could make my own.
The first diaper that I decided to fix I not only replaced the tabs, but the tummy strip as well. I ideally I would live to do this on all of them, but the fact is that it is much more time consuming and replacing tabs only fixes the problem of the diaper falling off.
At one point, several months ago, I decided to try replacing one of my bumgenius diapers with all snaps. This diaper has held up wonderfully, but it is also a very time consuming process to try to replace the velcro with snaps.
Because if my issues with BumGenius velcro, I tell people who are looking to buy cloth diapers that I love my Bum Genius, but I recommend buying half BumGenius with snaps and half with velcro. I figure a) you’ll have to replace half as much velcro, and b) you will have to replace the tabs half as often.
Here are some photos before and after. Replacing the tabs was really a quick process and I did 4 diapers in less than 1 hour (including cutting out new tabs and removing the old tabs).