While at home I was attempting to do laundry, but our sink kept backing up! The sink is in the basement and is the furthest thing down the sanitary sewer line, so I knew the problem was in the main pipe. The sink was so bad that I would have to wait a few hours for it to drain to do another load and I had laundry quickly piling up!!!
I knew what the problem was!!! It had to be my diaper liners, the ones I talked about here: http://www.greenbabiesblog.org/feeding/solid-foods-and-diapers/. I had recently purchased a different brand of liners, by Bummis, shown here. This liner is not washable and breaks down much more easily if left in the toilet for a while to soak. Nonetheless, I knew I’d have to come up with another plan for dealing with dirty diapers because I do not want to risk clogging up our pipes again. We live in a house built in 1932, so the pipes are very old.
With our sink clogged up with water I decided that I would come up with a better solution than the liners. I know that Bumgenius sells a diaper sprayer for $45, but I was not willing to spend that much money. Like everything else I googled to look for a solution. I found someone who made it seem very easy to make your own diaper sprayer, here. I decided that I would not wait to ask my husband to buy the parts and hook it up, so I headed to home depot. I searched for the parts shown in the photos on the site. Luckily the parts were also from home depot so with the help of a home depot employee we quickly picked out out the same parts for my project. The only difference was I choose a white sprayer instead of black.
I brought the parts home, wrapped the threads with white tape and screwed them together, and just like that I had my very own diaper sprayer for $25 instead of $45. I was so simple, I did it while Connor took a very short nap!
Now my husband was left to come home and deal with the dirty part, the clogged drain. He stopped back at home depot on the way home from work and rented a snake. He sent about 50′ of the 100′ snake down our drain and pulled out the diaper liners, stuck on some roots! Just as I had suspected! He sent the snake down a second time and came up with a few more…in total about 10 of the liners were stuck in our sewer pipes.
That solved it, the drain was clear and I was back to finishing my laundry…now we definitely won’t be using the liners any more!!!!